Becoming a member of the Order of Malta is a great honor and with it comes a significant responsibility. The admissions and formation process is thorough and can take 18-24 months. It is very important that every applicant is well qualified and carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee. If initially approved, the Formation Committee will help the candidate learn more about the Order and become engaged with the members and the works of the Order in his or her region.
• The applicant is a lay man or woman (at least 25 years old) who is an active and practicing Catholic in good standing and supports the teachings of the Catholic Church on all matters of faith and morals.
• The applicant has a record of service to the Catholic Church and to Catholic-related causes by lending professional expertise and “hands-on” volunteer service to the poor.
• The applicant has achieved a degree of distinction in his or her professional field (business, law, medicine, academics, military, Foreign Service, government, philanthropy/charitable activities, etc.). The applicant should be regarded as a leader in his or her field and in the community.
• Applicants must be sponsored by two members (Knights or Dames) of the Federal Association. The sponsor and applicant should discuss all the criteria for admission before requesting an application.
• If the applicant is accepted into formation for admission to the Order, both sponsors understand that they will actively mentor their candidate through the formation process and encourage him or her to participate actively in the spiritual activities and service projects of the Order.
• Prior to Investiture, every candidate will be required to pay an initiation fee, known as "Passage Fees". After a candidate is invested, he or she will be required to pay Annual Dues.
• Members are encouraged to contribute to the Order’s Annual Appeal which supports the Association’s Hospitaller and defense of the faith projects.
Regulations and Commentary
Members must go to the Member Login page to download the "REGULATIONS AND COMMENTARY" under the Member Documents.
Application for Membership
Please contact the office to request information about the application process.